Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Letters to Santa in 1903 - A Look Back to Christmas Past

 

Children in Robertson County Tennessee have always found a way to inform Santa of the treasures they hope to find under their tree on Christmas morning.  Although the items requested have changed, the letters still remind us of the joys of being a child at Christmas.  These letters to Santa, originally published in December 1903, were printed in the Nashville papers.

It is interesting to see how the requests change from year-to-year, while the letters continue to be sent.  Enjoy this look back, and you continue to celebrate this Holiday Season. 

 

Dear Santa: I am a little Country Boy Eight years old and all I ask  you to bring me is a little 22 rifle like that which Eldridge Douglas has.  He lives on Fatherland Street [Nashville]. I would like to have a knife, some Candies and nuts.  Papa takes the Banner.  Can I see this letter again.

 Alonzo Morris

White House, Tenn

Dear Santa, I am a little Country Boy and don’t get to see you so I will rite the  Banner as my Papa takes that paper that you will see what I want is a little toy Pistol, some bananas, candy, small knife and Oranges.  I am onley 6 years old

Alesson Morris

White House, Tenn

 Dear Santa Claus,

I am four years old and my little brother Reuben is two.  I want a doll, and a doll wardrobe and a trunk.  Reuben wants a play doll that will not break and a wagon and a box of candy.  My big brother Jack is eight, and he wants some skates and some leggins and we all want lots of good things and some firecrackers.  I wish you would bring Ed something too.  She is our nurse I am most always good and Reuben is sweet as sugar.

Kate Wimberly Killebrew

Guthrie, Kentucky

 Dear Santa Claus

I am eight years old and I have gotten fourteen head marks in spelling, and my Grandpa has given me a nice knife.  I want you to bring me an air gun, a watch and a bridle and saddle so I can ride the mules.  I can ride my self without a saddle, but I will need some more halters for them pretty soon.  I want some oranges and other good things and some firecrackers, too.  I am a real good boy most all the time, you can ask my Grandpa.

J. Buckner Killebrew

Guthrie, Ky

 Dear Santa Clause

I have been a good little boy. I want a twenty-two rifle, a pair of gloves, a pair of overshoes and leguns and candy, nuts oranges, apples.

William Williamson

Greenbrier, Tenn.

 Dear Santa Cluase

I have been going to school and I would be very glad if you would bring me a nice writing desk and stool, a pair of leggings, a football, 1 dozen longest Roman candles, some small fire crackers, some mice things to eat and I would like best of all to have a nice axe and saw, so that I may get in wood when Papa is away.  I shall sleep soundly

Frank Douglas Heflin

Cedar Hill, Tenn.

 Dear Old Santa Claus

 

I am a little girl 6 years old and living with my grandpa.  My name is Julia Armstrong.  My grandpa is taking the Nashville Banner.  Was looking over Banner and saw the Beauty beneath he Mistletoe, the Holly Wreath, and Young Hearts beneath the Mistletoe, and I was very much pleased when I heard grandpa reading your advertisement, and I thought I would write you a few lines and see if Dear Old Santa would bring me something nice Christmas.  I know I would pleased very much to find something nice in my stockings Christmas morning

Julia Armstrong

 

Dear Santa Claus

Please bring me some books, a tool chest with tools and I will promise not to cut, saw or nail on any part of the house.  Bring sister a doll, set of dishes, safe and anything else that will suit a nice little girl.  Bring my little brother a metal doll and building blocks.

Your little friends,

 

George Elmer Batts

Springfield, Tenn.

 Dear Santy

I want you to be here this Christmas and bring me a 22 rifle and Peck’s Bad Boy which is a book and some other books besides and some steam articles and don’t forget that rifle.  Sure I want some candy nuts and all kind of things to eat I need some shoes and a rain coat too, but I can do without them if you wont forget that rifle.  I want some fireworks though and any thing else you will be kind enough to bring but be sure to bring the rifle.  Your good friend.

Fred Moore Smith

Springfield, Tenn.

 

P.S. Be sure to remember the Banner man.

My darling Santa

How are you?  I hope you are alright and will be sure to come Christmas.  I am going to look for you because I have been a good girl.  I have kept my doll nice and you need not bring me another but sure Santa she needs some clothes and I hope you will bring her some and please bring me a diamond ring, a good fairy tale book, a pretty piece of music, Some more dishes to match the last ones, a mackintosh, some leggins and plenty to eat.  Be sure to bring brother all he wants and my cousins William, Ruth, and Lealand too.  Do not for get Mother, Father, and Mr. Head. Rappy Granny and all the poor children.  Thanking you for coming last Christmas and hoping you will come again I am your loving little girl.

Rebecca Florence Smith

Springfield, Tenn.

 Dear Old Santa

I am a little girl 9 years old.  I go to school every day.  I have never missed a day yet.  I want you to bring me a nice doll, a new cloak and some nuts, candy fruits and figs, and anything else you think is nice for me.  So good bye Santa.  Your little girl

Laura Cook

 My Dear Old Santa Clause

Please bring me a doll with brown hair and eyes that will go to sleep, a speech book, a game , a story book, some nice candy, nuts, oranges, and some fireworks , and anything else you have for nice little girls.  Your little friend,

Virginia B. Couts

Springfield, Tenn.

 __________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Santa Clause

I am  years old and I have been a good little boy, so I hope you won’t forget me.  Old Santa Clause please bring me a large brass cannon that will shoot a rubber ball and a large engine that I can set in and run it, that is if you have one.  Bring me a velocipede with a bell on it, and some talc to write on my blackboard with. I will leave the rest to you. I forgot to say I wanted some nuts and oranges an bananas.  Good by Santa, I remain truly yours.

Lemoyne Baskette

 __________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Old Santa Clause

I am a little boy 7 years old, and I would like for you to bring me a game of Authors, a speech book, a bear jumping the rope, some fireworks, lots of candy, nuts, oranges and anything else you may have for nice little boys and please bring my little brother, Bryan, a little red wagon, a monkey that will walk around when you wind him up, and some nice things to eat.  Your little friend,

Haywood Couts

Springfield, Tenn

 

PS  I will be at Aunt Mattie Mason’s that night.

 Dear Santa Clause

Please bring me and my brother Robert all kinds of candy, and nuts, oranges, apples, wax and cheese and crackers. Bring me a doll a large one that will cry and go to sleep.  I would like to have a set of furniture for it to.  Bring Robert a little train and some firecrackers and roman cannons.   Yours

Minnie and Robert Fry

 

Dear Santa Clause

I live in Springfield, Tenn., on Spring Street.  I go to school.  I want a nice doll, kid body, Golden curls of natural hair.  I would like a nice Book also a Game and anything else.  I’ll take all you bring with many thanks to you.  Bring my Mother a new Drugget for her room and for Father a nice pair of Gloves would suit him.  Go to see my little Nephew Altman Brooks.  He lives in Birmingham, Ala.  Please carry him everything a little boy would like for I want him to have lots of fun.  With much love I am your little girl.

Lula D. Robertson

P.S. Please carry Sister something nice.

Springfield,  Tenn.

 Dear Old Santa Claus

I am five years old and am a very good boy and especially when I am asleep and if you will bring me the following for Xmas I’ll try very hard to be a beter boy next year.  I want a writing desk with slates on it a Drum, Horn, picture book, a pistol and some fireworks, Mamma will furnish the candy, nuts, oranges and all things good to eat.  I forgot the doll.  I want a nice little doll dressed in pink with bloomer drawers on.

John Thomas Lowe

P.S. Don’t forget my sister and little brother.

 

Dear Santa Claus

 I am just 3 years old and am sick with a very bad cold and mamma will not let me go out, and I want some new playthings to keep me from crying so much.  The doctor is coming tonight to see me and I hope to be better tomorrow.  Please bring me a tricycle, little desk, a little drum and drumstick to hit it with, a doll, picture book and a little horse and anything else you can spare.  Also some blocks to build with.  I want to be well to enjoy it Christmas.

Harold Gladstone Lowe

 

 Mr Sandy Claws

United States of America

Dear Sandy

If you please bring me some raisins and nuts and candy, and oranges and apples and knife.  I have been a bad boy all the year.  I can’t be a good boy.  Yours truly.

J.C. Hollingsworth

Barren Plains, Tenn.

Dear Santa Claus

I am a little boy seven years old, I went to school every day until two months ago.  I fell and broke my left arm, but I hope too be able to attend regular after Christmas.  Dear Santa I’ve tried to be a good boy, and want you to bring me a real little train, a big horn, a big drum, a lot of fireworks, a large book telling all about the Presidents of our country, a chair, a basket of fruit,. Please bring them to my Ma’s.  Dear Santa be kind to all the orphans and don’t forget my Ma, Pa and teacher she is so kind and good.

Sheridan Redmond

Guthrie, Ky.

No comments:

J. Mark Lowe
J. Mark Lowe Reviews
Springfield, Tennessee Speakers
powered by Speaker Wiki