Saturday, December 16, 2023

Learning about People - Listening to the Letters to Santa in 1903

These Letters to Santa appeared in the December 24th 1903 edition of The Nashville Banner.  The newspaper reported receiving over 2200 letters that were published at Christmas time.  Reading these letters has always made me want to connect to more information - Let's read a few with some additional information added in some cases. 


Advertisement from Murfreesboro Post

 Dear Santa Claus will you please bring me a Pearl handle knife, and a set of furs, and some leggings, and a game of Jack Straw, and a whole lot of games, and some story books, and a little doll. My little friend Marie says it's no Santa Claus, but I want some dolls, nuts and oranges and candy, also bananas and figs and a Christmas tree. Don't forget Mama and Papa and our cook Sammy, and anything that is nice. I am seven years old. Lucille Tobias, Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Lucile Josephine Tobias  daughter of Joseph Tobias and Carrie Koshland. Mr Tobias was born in Poland, and came to the US in 1873 and to Murfreesboro shortly.  He was working at Tobias & Co as a bookkeeper in 1900.  The family moved to Chicago before 1905, and Lucile was a student at Hyde Park High School there. 

Lucile Josephine Tobias - High School Photograph


“Her ready laugh flows ever free”

Dear old Santa just two more nights before time for you to come, and we are so glad. Please bring us lots of nice things, bring baby sister, her name is Geraldine, a rubber doll, she has a rattle. Bring papa and mama something nice, two. Now Santa we have been very good children so please don't forget your little friends. Johnnie Susie and Elizabeth Grigsby. Franklin TN.

Dear Santy -  I am a good little girl 8 years old I want some candy and a doll and doll buggy and a stove, some oranges, candy dishes and table and that is all. Hazel Petrie Poteet

Dear old Santa Claus -  please bring me a doll just like sister Nellie’s and a buggy, a set of dishes, a fascinator, and some chalk for my blackboard you brought me last Christmas. Please don't forget my mother and father and aunt Mary and all my little cousins and my dear grandmas both of them and dear Santa don't forget my two little cousins up in Kentucky and their Mama. I will say good bye until I see you. Your little friend, Sarah Gibson.


Dear Santa Claus - I thought I would write these few lines to let you know what I want for Christmas period I want a nice ring and a stove and a set of dishes and some nuts and oranges, apples and raisins. Your loving friend, Eva Ashton.

July 2, 1910 – Appearing in the Nashville Banner:   A marriage which has just been made public, was that of Miss Eva Ashton of near Bordeaux and Mr. Wiley Sanders of Buchanan Street, which took place while the couple were seated in a buggy at the corner of Buchanan Street and Tenth Avenue, Elder M.S. Davis officiating. 

Modern addition:  Ashton G. ‘Red’ Sanders was a son of Wiley and Eva Ashton Sanders.  He was the owner of Sanders Marine & Harley-Davidson of Nashville and Sanders’ Honda  of Springfield. Eva and Wiley’s other children were Mary Elizabeth, Ruth M., Kathleen



Dear Santa -  I want you to bring me a drum, horn, some nuts, candy, a balloon and anything else you want to bring; Also a music box. Your little friend. Jim Dyer. 606 2nd St.

This young man was the youngest son of Joseph C. Dyer, the Nashville Depot Master and Lucy Ford Dyer. He was born in Nashville and like his father, he worked for the Louisville and Nashville Railroad for 30 years. He served in the Navy during World War I.  Jim married Miss Pearl Grizzard and they had the following children: James P Dyer (Jr) and Josephine. 


Sources: 1900 US Census, 1910 US Census, Nashville City Directories,  additional newspapers accounts, including obituaries. 


1 comment:

Liz Walker said...

I love these Mark. Thanks for sharing.

J. Mark Lowe
J. Mark Lowe Reviews
Springfield, Tennessee Speakers
powered by Speaker Wiki