Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Looking at the Schneider Family of Cedar Hill - following the 1902 Letters to Santa from their Children

 

Today, we are backing up to December 1902.  These are Letters to Santa from the Nashville Banner. These letters are from children who grew up in the town of Cedar Hill, Tennessee.  A railroad town located on the Edgefield line of the L&N railroad.  Let’s look at their requests:

Dear Old Santa  - It is only two weeks now, until you will make all good little boys like me a visit, so I will tell you what I want.  I would like for you to bring me a large wagon, tow story books, a saw, a large engine, a bag of marbles, a baseball mitt, nine roman candles, a pack of fire crackers, some torpedoes, a sky-rocket, and of course some candies, oranges, and nuts; be sure and come. Your little friend,

Tom Schneider – Cedar Hill, Tenn.

 J. Thomas Schneider attended school in Cedar Hill and graduated in 1917 with B.A., University of the South, Sewanee, Tenn.  He was commissioned second lieutenant, United States Army in 1918, and servied as an Artillery officer in the American Expeditionary Forces, France He became the Information and staff officer, general headquarters, American Expeditionary Forces, France. through 1924  He became to Aide to General John J. Pershing the next year. He graduated from Harvard University with a law degree and resigned from the Army. He practiced law for several years, and was appointed Counsel for the Reconstruction Finance Corp. and its subsidiaries. From the years 1943-1949, he became the General counsel, Standard Brands, New York, N.Y.

In 1952. he was appointed the Assistant Secretary of Commerce for International affairs and later became the Coordinator of Field Offices, Antitrust Division, Justice Department.  Upon  his death he is buried in Arlington Cemetery, near the grave of General 'Black Jack' Pershing. 

Finding Aid to his Papers at the Library of Congress

Interview with Mr Schneider held by Truman Presidential Library


Elizabeth Schneider Richardson

Mr. Santa Claus – A little girl 4 years old wants you to visit her in your travels and bring some toys, a tea sea, a picture book, a go-cart, a Doll, roman candles, skyrockets, firecrackers, candy nuts, oranges, a fur muff and any other nice things to wear, eat, and play with.  I can not go to school yet, so I need a lot of playthings to keep me busy at my home.  Please Don’t forget your little friend.     Elizabeth Schneider – Cedar Hill, Tenn.

 Dear Old Santa – You were so kind to bring me what I asked for last Christmas, I am going to write to you again, so that you will not forget me: please bring me a doll, some furs, a steamer trunk, a story book, five roman candles, a skyrocket, a pack of firecrackers, and just lots of candy, oranges, and nuts.  With lots of love from                           Rebecca L. Schneider – Cedar Hill, Tenn.

The parents of these three children were Charles and Lila Ayres Schneider.  He was a telegraph operator and clerk for the L&N railroad.  Their daughter, Rebecca, was the last of the family to live in their big house in Cedar Hill.  When she passed, the family settled her estate and sold the house. I attended that auction sale as a little boy - I grew up about a 1/4 mile from this house.   I was looking through a box of old books, and an older gentleman knelt down and said, "Let me make some recommendations."  He pulled out some of the books and said, "These were among my favorites."  He gave me those books - that was J. Thomas Schneider.  

My parents purchased the old house in a closed bid after the auction.  That is another story indeed!    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and your family.   Be sure to share some stories while you are together. 


Sources: The Nashville Banner, 20 Dec 1902, p 20.; Schneider Family Files (personal collection)







1 comment:

Bettie Goolsby Doyle. said...

Tahnk you for sharing these stories.

J. Mark Lowe
J. Mark Lowe Reviews
Springfield, Tennessee Speakers
powered by Speaker Wiki