Thursday, December 14, 2023

More Letters to Santa Claus from 1903 - One Hundred and Twenty Years Ago

 These letters were taken from the Nashville Banner, dated 24 Dec 1903.   Please note the toys, food and candies that these children are requesting.   Imagine how it felt to have your letter published in the BIG Nashville Newspapers.   Enjoy the letters. 

One the front page the editors shared the following: 

To Our Santa Claus Correspondents:

With today’s issue the correspondence with Santa Claus closes for this year.  The little people broke the record this time.  That Banner has published with the past week 2,153 letters to Santa Claus, more than has been published on any previous ear – another evidence that the little people know their friend, and the Banner is the great family newspaper of Tennessee.


My Dear Santa Claus – I am late getting in my letter but please don’t leave me out. Dear Santy, bring me lots of toys, every thing nice for a little boy just 5 years old. And don’t forget my dear sweet mamma.   J.W. Kelley, Jr. – McKenzie, Tenn.

Dear Santa – As my father is a subscriber to your paper I will write and ask you to bring me a story book.  And please bring my little friend Lizzie Myrtle Biggar a big doll.   Hallie Hays, RR No 1, Guthrie Ky.

Dear Santa Claus – I am a little boy 6-1/2 years old and would like for you to bring me engine and coaches and s storybook and some candy, nuts, and some fireworks and some nice fruits and please don’ forget my baby Brother he is 2 years old his name is Markin Silvester Brooks – bring him something nice and some good things to eat.   Your little friend – James Allen Brooks, West Nashville, TN (Illinois Ave/7th St)  P.S.  Don’t forget mama and papa and grandma.  I go to Sunday School too!.

Dear Old Santa Claus – I am a little girl nearly four years old and I want you to bring me a doll and a set of furs and I want some picture books and Santa Claus I want a little stove and a little table so I can put my dishes on and some chairs and Santa Claus – I want a little rocking chair to nurse my doll and I want candy , oranges and nuts and Santa Clause don’t forget my little brother, he is nearly two years old. I want you to bring him a ball and rocking horse and that is all he wants except candies, oranges and nuts – We will be your good little children – Bunyon and Robbie Draughon – We live on Division Street.

Dear Santy Claws – I am a little boy 5 years old, and this is the first time that I have written to you, and I hope you will be kind enough to bring me lots of good things. I am a good boy.  Please bring me some candy, nuts, raisins, figs, oranges, apples and fireworks, and lots of nice toys and nice little trunk to put them in, and don’t forget little brother Oscar.  He has been sick, and bring him lots of good things and lots of toys.  He is a good boy 3-1/2 year old. I am a small boy and I can make my A, B, C, and I can make figures on my slate.  We have got two dogs, but will have them fastened under the house when you come so don’t be afraid of them.  My name is Phillip S. Colley and I live at 532 North First St., Esat Nashville.  Dear Santy, don’t forget mamma and papa, so goodbye.  Dear Old Santy, I forgot to tell you I want a nice overcoat if you please, and thanking the Banner for kindness in publishing my letter.  I will make papa continue to take it, for I think it is the best paper in the State of Tennessee, yours respectfully,  - Phillip L Colley


Stay tuned - we will be adding more letters each day


No comments:

J. Mark Lowe
J. Mark Lowe Reviews
Springfield, Tennessee Speakers
powered by Speaker Wiki